Donald P. Meadors Obituary, Death – A Sand Springs man who died from injuries he suffered in a mobile home fire overnight Tuesday night has been identified as Donald P. Meadors, 78. A woman who lives in the Sunburst Estates mobile home park in the 700 block of West 41st Street looked out her window just before midnight Tuesday night and saw that her neighbor’s mobile home was on fire and called 911, Fire Chief Jeremy Wade said.
Firefighters from the nearby Station 2 arrived quickly, Wade said, but the whole back bedroom area of the mobile home was in flames. One group of firefighters went in with a hose while a second group went in with a thermal imaging camera, Wade said.
Almost immediately, he said, they found an older man, whom an incident report identifies as Meadors, lying on the floor near the front door. Firefighters pulled the man from the home and began CPR in the yard until an ambulance crew was able to take him to a Tulsa hospital, Wade said.
He said firefighters were able to extinguish the blaze pretty quickly. Wade said Sand Springs Fire Marshal Mike Nobles found no natural gas service to the mobile home but did find an electric space heater next to the bed, and he cited that as the likely cause of the fire. Wade added that there were no working smoke detectors in the residence.
“This is that fire safety stuff that you get tired of hearing, but it’s important to keep space heaters away from combustibles and to have working smoke detectors,” he said. “Tragedies such as this can be prevented.”
Meanwhile, funeral services for Meadors have been set. A visitation is planned for 6-8 p.m. Monday at Mark Griffith Memorial Funeral Home Westwood Chapel in Tulsa, and a funeral is planned for 10 a.m. Tuesday at Olivet Baptist Church in Tulsa.